“Tell me his name again”
Two worldwide sensations are mashing up today and will change the game…at least for a little bit.
Starting today, for a limited event, Thanos will make his debut in Fortnite. So how will this change the gameplay? Well in a few ways actually.
For starters, the game will still be a one hundred person free-for-all, but there’s a bit of a twist. Early in the game, a meteor will land in the storm safe stone, at the crash site, the Infinity Gauntlet. Once a player retrieves the gauntlet, they will transform into The Mad Titan, giving the player some new abilities. These abilities include:
- A punch that knocks back enemies and destroys structures
- Thanos flies to the ground, hitting an area for knockback and damage.
- Harnessing the energy of the Power stone to fire a blast that deals damage over time.
- A super-jump that can vault Thanos over all but the largest obstructions.
Along with these abilities, Thanos will will have some passive traits.
- Thanos has both shields and health. When he eliminates another player, his shields regenerate, but his health never regenerates.
- Thanos doesn’t take fall damage
- Thanos does not build, use weapons or things like launch pads. But really, these are all beneath The Mad Titan.
If Thanos is eliminated, the Gauntlet will fall to the ground for anyone to grab. If left unattended for too long, the Gauntlet will disappear until another meteor appears. And just like normal, the last player standing wins.
So it seems like there will be a mad dash to the meteor and a scramble for the Gauntlet, switching the game to everyone versus Thanos versus everyone.
Thanos is powerful; he’s designed to hit hard and take down structures. His shields regenerate from killing other players, but his health never comes back. He also won’t be able to build structures or use any of the weapons on the field. So as much as these new abilities are a bonus, they’re also a limitation.
That being said, taking down The Mad Titan won’t be an easy feat, luckily, the game does throw the player a few bones to help win this battle:
- Only Rare, Epic and Legendary weapons will spawn
- Increased chances of treasure chests spawning from 50-70 percent to 80-90 percent.
- Floor Loot spawns nearly 100 percent of the time.
- Launchpad spawn likelihood greatly increased.
- Harvesting resources doubled.
- Resources found in loot increased from 30 to 60.
- Chug Jug, Port-A-Fort, Boogie Bomb, Slurp Juice, Bush, and Remote Explosives drop rate increased.
- Regular Grenade, Shield and Bandage drop rate lowered.
It looks like shields will be much more plentiful along with some of the sneakier items like explosives. This should give the player a helping hand. Resources will easier to acquire with harvesting doubled and resources found in loot going up.
Good luck everyone, see you at the drop site.
Author: Albert “Beartoe” Hellebuick